Well, That didn’t take long!
Exodus 20:18-20 KJV
(18) And all the people saw the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking: and when the people saw it, they removed, and stood afar off.
(19) And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die.
(20) And Moses said unto the people, Fear not: for God is come to prove you, and that his fear may be before your faces, that ye sin not.
Think about it: It only took 6 weeks from the time that God manifested Himself to the children of Israel on Mount Sinai, before they forgot all about who He was, and deliberately violated several of His commandments.
Exodus 20:22-23 KJV
(22) And the LORD said unto Moses, Thus thou shalt say unto the children of Israel, Ye have seen that I have talked with you from heaven.
(23) Ye shall not make with me gods of silver, neither shall ye make unto you gods of gold.
In just a month and a half, they decided that it was more important to them to have a god that they could see, than to follow the God of Heaven who had so very miraculously rescued them from bondage, and had provided for their needs in the desert.
And they had help from Aaron, who really should have known better (if you even need to say something like that after the display that everyone witnessed on Mount Sinai!)
Are we better or worse today, given that we have this example set before us?