Home Network Overhaul 2010 – Part 2
It has been a very productive year so far, as it pertains to my ongoing Home Network Re-Engineering Project. In fact, the past few days have been especially productive.
I was finally able to fix the hardware problem that prevented my old domain controller from booting, and since the boys’ old Windows XP machine began to fail (spontaneous reboots under any kind of load, even when booted from a BartPE recovery disk), I built a new Windows 7 workstation for them with this hardware. The old server had also functioned as the destination for our Home directories and for redirected folders, and I was able to get the data copied over to the new virtual server that I built as a replacement.
One interesting side-effect of this change is that now, all the desktop systems in my house are running some edition of 64-bit Windows. I have only two more Vista instances to upgrade to Windows 7, and life in desktop/laptop land will be golden.
The extensive use of virtual systems means that I am one application away from retiring a second physical server, bring me down from five (5) physical boxes to three (3), while increasing actual server instances from five (5) to eight (8). And this doesn’t include a Linux desktop instance that I have started running.
I have just a few more changes to make this quarter, including setting up remote access and network access control (NAC), and changing my email/web security configuration – probably using Untangle or eBox Platform.
Stay tuned for more updates to this project. Next time, the updated network diagrams will be available.