Welcome to The UltraTech Zone Sign in | Join | Help

Talking Out Loud with ASB

Views on Life, Technology and Everything, by ASB (aka Logik!)...

My Profile

Andrew S. Baker (ASB)

News

• Platform: CS v2.1 SP2...

Get a FREE phishing filter for your domain!

Who links to my website?

Pando Pro

The VitaMix Craze

I've been meaning to write about this for a couple of months, but I've been sidetracked a number of times.  We bought a -- finally -- which we've been using to make shakes, smoothies and ice cream. And juice.  BTW, if you've never used one of these high-powered blenders, then you have no idea how cool these things can be for making drinks and ice cream.

We had been looking to get one for nearly a year, but we kept putting it off to do research.  Finally, after reading all sorts of reviews of the top products, we settled on this brand and model, and it has been really good.

My wife has been happily making nut/seed milks (almond, sunflower, sesame seeds) every few days, and I've been able to make some good citrus or berry juice blends.

And it takes about 3 minutes to make ice cream.   You can't beat that!

Needless to say, I really enjoy this purchase.  I generally reserve this amount of enthusiasm for computing technology, not food processing equipment.

Did I mention that you can make ice cream and smoothies in about 3 minutes?

Share Post:
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2007 8:33 PM by Logik!
Filed under: , ,

Comments

Eagle117 said:

But will it blend?

# May 1, 2007 7:26 AM

Logik! said:

Oh, it certainly blends... :D

# May 3, 2007 12:12 PM

Webster said:

ASB,

We LOVE our VitaMix.  The Ice Cream is great (my fave is their Peach).  It sounds wierd but the hot Cream of Asparagus soup it can make is out of this world.  We are on our 2nd VitaMix.  The first we just plain wore out, sent back to them and paid to have it rebuilt.  They have excellent service.

Oh, did I mention it makes GREAT Ice Cream? :)

Webster

# May 20, 2007 6:04 PM

Marlowe said:

There are so many choices in vitamix. 4500 2 speed;  Super 5000 with two containers, 1 wet and 1 dry; Super compact with  large and small wet containers; deluxe 5000 with 3 containers and the cost goes up?  What is the best choice?  Soups and all I would love to make. Vitamin drinks, but breads not necessarily. Anyhow people are happy they bit the bullet and bought one but which selection?  Did anyone make a mistake in their choice of the ones offered?

# June 22, 2007 12:30 PM

Jasmine_fishing said:

Once again I will write about my questions concerning vitamix. Have researched and some do not buys have caught my attention and quite a few super comments about buying.  But WHICH 5000 vitamix is the way to go?  A lot of sets do not get used and go up for sale.  I do not want to go this route later.  There is the 5000, super 5000 and compact 5000 and the deluxe.  Someone out there must know which is the best to buy for normal everyday use.  The compact set seems to have a nice size container that can be left on the counter 32 ounce and yet soups later on can be made in the 62 ounce.   Deluxe just seems so expensive and so many containers!!  I will blend some dry wheats and  brans, etc but not a lot.  Need someones good advise. I am not happy with my  kitchenaid blender for certain. Hope I hear something.

# June 23, 2007 1:00 PM

Vita-master said:

If you want to the absolute gospel, you want a Vita-mix hands down.  A Vita-mix is a whole food processor  The Vita-mix has a patented tamper that allows you to push any large sized items down in to the blades.  Just for the record, I have owned a Vita-mix for about 9.5 years and did not use it that much at first. To be honest, when I bought the machine the demonstrator made great foods and I just could not duplicate them and quit.  I decided to get involved with better eating and I was looking for new recipes for my machine and came across www.vitamixrecipes.com. This site has actual demonstrator recipes. Those guys know how to use that machine better than anybody!  For anyone that feels the way I did, they allow you to purchase just one recipe for .99 each or you can become a member for a full year for 24.99. I got a promotion code from one of the demonstrators a while back and it drops the price to 19.99 for a year’s membership.  Hey, 5 bucks is 5 bucks.  I can say that the recipes on this site have helped to fall back in love with my Vitamix.  I now feel like I am getting my moneys worth!  The promotion code I used was "Vitanow".  I just checked and it still works! Enjoy.

# July 24, 2007 12:06 PM

Logik! said:

We went for the Deluxe, and I recommend that you do the same as well.   You'll use all those parts more than you think.

My wife makes almond butter, whole grain pancake mix, juice, smoothies, ice cream and more.  The large containers work well for a family of 5.

# August 24, 2007 1:35 AM
Anonymous comments are disabled

About Logik!

Andrew S. Baker aka ASB aka Logik!

Andrew S. Baker is a business-savvy, hands-on IT leader with expertise in mentoring people, mitigating risk, and integrating technology to drive innovation and maximize business results. He creates competitive advantage for organizations through effective IT leadership: implementation of processes and controls, and architecture of robust business solutions.

Mr. Baker has successfully led a number of high-performance technology teams in designing, deploying and maintaining secure, cost-effective computing environments for well-known companies, including Warner Music Group, The Princeton Review, Bear Stearns, About.com, and Lewco Securities.

For over a decade, Andrew has exhibited thought leadership on technology and business topics via mailing lists, technical forums, blogs, and professional networking groups, along with contributions to podcasts, webinars, and over 20 technical/business magazine articles. He also serves on several boards and committees for non-profit organizations, and within the Seventh-day Adventist church.

His personal interests include Astronomy, Basketball, Bible Study, Chess, Comics, Computers, Family Life Ministries, Reading, Strategy/Role Playing games, and Professional Networking...

A summary of Andrew's current résumé is available here, and he can be reached on a variety of social and professional networks, including LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.