Upgrading my CS installation to .NET 2.0
After a long bout of troubleshooting, we finally made the determination that the reason why the Community Credit Add-on for CommunityServer.org wouldn't work on any of my installation, is that it is a .NET 2.0 application, and I've been running CS on .NET 1.1.
The sad part is that it didn't occur to me to ask about that key differentiator until this week. Don't ask me why, but it just goes to show how having all the information is key to the troubleshooting process. And this time, I was the culprit.
Anyhoo, I managed to upgrade my test CS 2.1 installation at home last night to .NET 2.0 without issue, so I'll probably upgrade my personal installation tonight, and upgrade my corporate installation today or tomorrow.
Incidentally, this is the first blog post in a while that is not being written in Windows Live Writer. I'm posting this to my internal CS site, where it will automatically be cross-posted to my public blog. My test site also doubles as a location where my daughter can blog in safety and comfort (for me, anyway), as a substitute for places like MySpace. So far, so good.
I haven't checked to see if searching on the internal site has been impaired, as many have experienced when migrating to .NET 2.0, but if it is, I have the fix for search. Here's another. (Actually, I couldn't help myself and just checked in another windows, and lo and behold: I had the problem, so I implemented the solution 5 seconds ago.)
And finally, I can see that the Community-Credit Add-On is finally working, because I received an email update from my site when I initially posted a draft of this article to the site. Nice!
Now, I just need to add the various CS Modules that I have been thinking about recently, and that Thomas Freudenberg mentioned recently in his blog...